Do you like to design fliers? Write articles? Sell books? Track numbers? Scrapbook? Or would you care to assist with the music program? Maybe organize a pot luck? The Scripps Ranch Friends of the Library has lots of opportunities for you to help, whether it's a commitment of a few hours a month or a one time project.
If you are interested in volunteering, or would like to learn more about the duties involved, please visit the Circulation Desk at the Scripps Ranch Library.
Here is a list of some of the jobs that need doing.
- Maintain accurate records of the membership.
- Prepare and mail membership and renewal forms.
- Design and distribute membership applications.
- Prepare literature to explain the benefits and role of SRFOL.
- Create new approaches to increase awareness and membership.
- Establish contact with the membership perhaps through cards, thank yous, etc.
- Coordinate with the treasurer and membership records personnel.
- Assess current renewal policies and membership category status and make appropriate recommendations to the board.
Folio Newsletter Editor
- Edits Folio publication (4 times year).
- Collects articles from SRFOL President and Library Branch Manager.
- Collects photos or writes one other very short article.
- Compiles event schedule for upcoming 3 months.
- Performs the bulk mailing of the Folio and other distribution (this task takes about 10 hours quarterly).
Pleasure of Your Company Music Program
- Select and coordinate with performers.
- Create flier for monthly event.
- Assist with set up of chairs/serving refreshments/packing up and clean up after event.
- Arranges for children's programs from a list of city approved resources.
- Contact and schedule performers/community room.
- Create flier for event.
- Monitor monthly children's programs.
- Annual student essay contest, read and evaluate student essays.
- Summer reading program.
- Assist with set up / refreshments / clean up at events.
- Shops for items needed at various SRFOL events, such as refreshments at POYC, etc.
- May plan refreshments for POYC concerts.
- May plan/coordinate other events which include refreshments as needed (with assistance of other volunteers), e.g., annual volunteer recognition event.
- Contacts individuals who have indicated an interest in volunteering with SRFOL to help match their interests and availability with SRFOL needs.
- Assists with coordination of annual volunteer recognition event.
- Writes a short article about the SRFOL for the monthly SRCA Newsletter which is submitted via email; photograph (in jpg format) usually submitted with article (often photo is obtained from another SRFOL Board member or library staff member).
- Prepares publicity promoting monthly POYC concerts and submits to San Diego Union-Tribune, multiple community newspapers, and various websites (e.g., KPBS, The Reader, Sign-On San Diego; submitted via email or through on-line form on website (sometimes requires communicating with performer to obtain photo, updated information).
- Occasionally prepares publicity promoting special events sponsored by the SRFOL.
- Approximately every 2 years, plans and prepares a centerfold spread ("Focus" section) featuring the SRFOL for the SRCA Newsletter.
- Attends the monthly Friends of the San Diego Public Library meeting (3rd Saturday morning, 10 or 11 months per year).
Grace's Book Nook (GBN)
- Interview, schedule, and coordinate volunteers for Grace's Book Nook.
- Compile and publish monthly calendar for volunteer shift assignments in Grace's Book Nook.
- Report on Book Nook sales at monthly Board meetings.
- Purchases GBN sales supplies (sales receipt books, ledgers, pens, envelopes, etc).
- Print cash envelopes for use with shift receipts.
- Work in coordination with library staff to process donated books.
- Price books for sale in the Book Nook.
- Train other volunteers on pricing, shelving, and selling books.
- Coordinate special monthly discount book sales.
- Substitute for volunteers who miss their assigned shift.
- Other volunteer opportunities include:
- sorting, pricing, and shelving donated books
- researching potentially rare books on the Internet
- cleaning and repairing damaged books
- periodically alphabetizing shelved books by authors' last names
- culling unsold books for disposal
- coordinating exchanges of unsold books with FSDPL and Friends' groups from other libraries
- covering 2-1/2 hour shifts in Grace's Book Nook on regular basis or as substitute
- Writes and mails letters to SRFOL members and friends soliciting donations for the SRFOL Holiday Bookplate program, which rewards donors by placing a bookplate with the donor's or honoree's name in one or more library books.
- Sends letters to honorees and acknowledgment letters to donors.
- Assists with setting up special events (project based).
- Maintains the SRFOL website with SRFOL general information and sponsored events.
- Coordinates with POYC, Childrens' Program, and Book Discussion Group coordinators as well as the Publicity Chairperson, to ensure timely and accurate information is posted on the website.
- Take pictures at SRFOL events.
- Edits digitized photographs for use on the website.
- Creates, collects, and edits clip art and other graphics for use on the website.
- Maintains and publishes monthly and yearly website usage statistics.
- Processes annual Internet domain registration.
- Maintains the SRFOL email system.
Audit Committee Chair
- Supervises the annual audit of the financial records of the SRFOL.
- Chairs the audit committee (typically 2-3 people; major work occurs in July and August and tends to take 5-8 hours).
- Takes pictures at SRFOL events.
- Collects and collates materials from SRFOL events into scrapbooks.
- Decorates display cases in the entryway of the Scripps Ranch Library and changes the displays periodically (display cases are used to promote Grace's Book Nook and the SRFOL).